MMO as a Social Network

 In this post I will write why I think that MMORPG is more Social Network than just a game.There is more of my personal experience than objective facts, but I think it is very representative.

I will speak mostly about my favorite MMO - Excel Table Online...oh, I mean EVE Online.

If I recall right, a social network is a platform which people use to build social relationships with other people, meet new people and communicate with people who share your interest.

First of all, mostly all people in one game share at least one interest. I believe that there is no need to spell it, right?  Plus, games feel less real and as impact - people fear less to do something which is hard to do IRL. It all makes it easier to start a conversation with a stranger and meet new people.

For example, one day in EVE I go to the asteroid belt to mine some materials. There was another miner. And because mining in Eve is a very meditative process, it is a little bit boring. So to kill some time, I start a conversation with another miner. At the beginning, we speak about Eve, then speak about other games and at the end about real life. That simple I add a new name to my friend list. IRL it's a little bit harder.

Another story. One day I hear a distress call from a player and decide to help. After I saved him, I learned that he is a member of a small Ukraian Corporation (aka Guild). When I say that I ukranian too, he invites me to it and in Discord channel. I was very surprised, that in that corporation was my old classmate, with whom I had lost contact.

And of course I get not only friends. I also meet people who help me deal with my stress. I have a big list named ”Kill without negotiation”. It's very good to have someone like that and games are the only place where you can get it legally.

So what i try to say. In MMO you go to some adventure and get in trouble, accidently meet new people, through a difficult situation develop bonds with others (good or bad) and that's how you get new friends (and revenge targets). Friends with you can play and speak about real life. This is why I think that MMO is the best social network.

You can read more...no you can't. This time I didn’t use any outside materials.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ethics and IT

Two pre-internet phenomena

A few facts about history of video games.